Reading Notes: Norse Mythology (Part 6)

For the sixth part of Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, I read chapters 14 & 15: Hymir and Thor's Fishing Expedition and The Death of Balder.

The story of Thor's fishing trip was a really awesome tale.  It is one of those mythology stories that is larger than life, literally.  Thor is fishing with a giant, using a whole ox head as bait, and the entire scale of everything is ridiculous.  When Thor first reaches Hymir's home, a large giantess is preparing food.  Gaiman describes the scene as she is cutting "onions the size of boulders and cabbages the size of boats"  I really loved reading this story.  It is such a classic tale and is often found in art from the Norse.  I loved Gaiman's version of it too.  He blended together the telling from a few different sources and the result is wonderful.  This story is just so good.

I think it would be really fun to tweak this into a story of my own and find images depicting the original.  I had  a lot of fun searching for some for this post.


Comments

  1. Hi, Caitlyn!

    That's such a cool image of a "charm bracelet." I loved reading your story about Thor and the other Avengers, and after reading your notes on Hymir and Thor's Fishing Expedition, I feel like I ought to go back and read more of Gaiman's work. He seems to put such a fun twist on mythology, and I think that you represented him well in your notes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: Who is Caitlyn?

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story:The Sun-Goddess's Return